We bisque to 980 degrees and fire stoneware to 1260 degrees in an electric kiln fired for oxidation. Earthenware firings by special arrangement only. Sorry, no BRT or Paper Clays.
You can drop off greenware for a bisque firing, then bring in your own glazes to use at the studio, ready for the final glaze firing. We'll then call you to arrange to pick up.
The cost to fire is $16.50 per kilo (raw dry weight) and includes 1 x bisque and 1 x glaze firing, with a minimum charge of $50; payable in advance. Jewellery or small pieces at $30/kg.
Kiln internal kiln size is 560 H x 460 W x 450 D.
Additional costs for:
- if there are glaze drips from your pieces onto a kiln shelf, there'll be a charge of $25 per drip to grind off the damage
Please call 0409 552 113 to organise a drop-off/pick up
Some more details:
- Pieces must be completely dry, ie not cold to touch
- Each piece must have your name carved onto it
- You will need to supply your own setters, which sit under your pieces in the kiln to catch glaze drips, to minimise kiln shelf damage. These can be made in the studio from "Special K" clay and we have kiln wash to coat them with
- We only fire commercially available clays (no home-sourced clay, BRT or paper clays)
- Small items, eg beads or jewellery will incur additional handling fees
- Hollow work must be pierced to allow steam to escape and not contain paper
- We take every care but cannot be held responsible for breakages or miss-firings; accidents happen
- Aa a small studio, we cannot store boxes/packing materials in between firings
- Turn around time is usually around 2-3 weeks; subject to seasonality